Recycled Magazine Holder

Start with this…I used a priority mail box. You could use a fedex box or any box that might fit your magazines. You could also use a cereal box…it might not be as sturdy, but try it.

Measure the front part 6 inches tall.

Measure the back of the box 12 inches tall.
Any taller than that, and it may not fit in a shelf.

Line up your ruler from point to point and draw a line all the way around the box. Then cut on the line around the box. I had more control with a steak knife than with my scissors.

I had some left over Amy Butler fabric and I just wrapped it around the box to measure and cut. I did not cover the bottom…where it sits. I folded the fabric under and hot glued all around like this…

This is the back. I just overlapped and glued.

Then do your best to fold and hot glue the inside…you’ll have to maneuver the best you can. It probably would look cuter if I lined the inside…but I didn’t. Maybe you could line the inside with coordinating scrapbook paper before you glue the fabric inside. For me…well…I couldn’t really see the inside with magazines in it. But if you gave it as a gift, it would look more finished with the inside lined.

Here’s the front with magazines. This was also wide enough to fit my recipe & home binders.

And here’s the back! I was going to decoupage scrapbook paper or wrapping paper, but I love the way the fabric turned out. It looks so tailored. I think this would be a great gift for someone…along with a subscription to their favorite magazine…the gift that gives all year! Now I need to make about 46 more of these because I am a magazine junkie with thousands of stacks of magazines. Or maybe I should get rid of some…such blasphemy!

Comments

1. says

Wonderful Idea! I was looking to buy one for my desk to hold card stock that I use on a regular basis now I will not need to do so. Thanks!

2. says

That would be a great idea for my daughter’s messy bookshelf. I just happen to have several Priority Mail boxes in the garage (for the life of me I can’t remember why I have so many new ones!). Now all I need is some fabric. Thanks for the idea!

3. says

GREAT idea! Absolutely love it! I notice you have ‘Cottage Living’ in on of the holders– I’m so sad the December issue is their last, such a great magazine.Good luck with the paint color (check email!)j.

4. says

I just found your blog and love it! My friend and I have been looking for the perfect magazine holders and never could find them (and be in our price range of course) … these are fantastic! Such a great idea!! I can’t wait to explore the rest of your blog. :)

5. Shirley says

not only a great idea, but simple and clear instructions, you have inspired me to get serious with my blog and sharing ideas for decorating baby rooms.thanks!Shirley

6. says

I love how this uses fabric instead of paper, which I’ve used but then had to cover with Modge Podge to prevent smudges. This is a great no sew project, all I need is my trusty glue gun and I’ll have something worthy of sitting in my family room and not hidden in my craft room. Thanks for the clearly written and photographed tutorial!

7. says

Um, I love this. It’s a great idea for my Mod Podge blog!

< HREF="http://www.modpodgerocks.blogspot.com" REL="nofollow">World of Mod Podge<>Thanks for the post!

8. says

Love it!! Have used them (Plain) to store 12×12 scrapbook paper. But did you know there is a notice that says it is illegal to use those boxes for anything other than what they are intended? How dare they? A box?